Friday, August 24, 2012

Corbels and Shoe forms as Sculpture

My Scot took me to my favorite flea market, Trader Bakers in Owensboro, Ky. yesterday to get me out of the house. It was a good day, man, did I score big!

Lately, I've been perusing (drooling over) my Restoration Hardware Catalog for inspiration for my living/dining room. Architectural salvage pieces are so interesting.....and can be so pricey in the hands of dealers and shops that know what they have.....
A Great Sign for the Thrifter

I had seen these corbels and facade pieces on the floor in the corner of a booth for about 4 months. The problem was...there was no price. So, I kept waiting for a price. Yesterday, I moved the things around in the box and found the price underneath written on the box...$6.99 for "4 pieces off old house"! Yay!
Architectural Salvage as Sculpture 

This is a photo of the corbels as sculpture on my dining room table. The two candlesticks were purchased 13 years ago for my outside (poolside) wedding. I found the little wooden bird when I was visiting my mom and sister in Naples, Fla. this summer.(uh, oh! this could be a warning! Tangent Alert!) Naples, Fla. has the best thrift stores!  (no,no, false alarm!)
Iron Shoe Forms

I also decided it was time to buy this group of shoe forms which I had been wanting for a long time.....they were also at floor level...pricier, but, really? $18.00 for the group! Yay! The shoe forms are also very sculptural. I have no place for them at the moment....but I have an idea....
Shoe Forms are so Sculptural


Then, there is this very well made server's apron with pockets on both sides (reversible) priced at $1.25! Yay!
Chic Server's Apron

Then, there is this Pyrex loaf pan for $2.00! Now, I have five loaf pans for my bread baking days! Yay!
Pyrex  Bread Pan

Oh, yes, here are the two facade pieces...maybe they will work with the shoe forms.....I'll think about it and play with the pieces....and think about it.
Architectural Salvage

I say,"Yay!" a lot at this flea market. The rented booths are mostly unmanned. You can usually meet the vendors on a Saturday when they are stocking up.We have some favorites.....good people, good times, good scores.....Yay!