Monday, June 6, 2011

Upcycled Ironing Station

BEFORE
I picked up this sad little stand at our local Salvation Army Thrift Store for $6. The two baskets came with the stand and I found the handled basket on a shelf....and it fit perfectly. I needed an ironing station to hold my pressing cloths, hobby irons, spray starch, lint rollers, etc.

Now, to make it worthy of my studio!


 





  I painted the stand with putty colored paint. It is sort of a grey/brown.
                                                                          
  
I cut black foam core boards into panels. I picked up the foam core boards for 40 cents apiece at our local flea market (score!).

Then, I covered the boards with a gold colored African fabric with turtles on it. The fabric was waiting for the perfect use! I used rubber cement to glue the fabric to the foam core and also to glue the panels to the sides of the stand to cover up the heart shaped holes.
   

To cover the heart shaped holes on the insides of the stand, I cut squares from a small gold and yellow print( I used my big good Havel's Rotary Cutter for this process). I fused the squares to fusible (iron on) heavy interfacing and used rubber cement to adhere the squares to the inside of the stand.  







The next step was to paint the baskets yellow. Then, I used a Guatemalan Ikat fabric to line the baskets.                   









AFTER

     The last step was to glue some black flat wooden circles to cover the screws.                                              


                                                                            


  I like my new ironing station. It is lightweight and the handles make it easy to move it when needed. Hope you liked the makeover!