Monday, January 16, 2012

Flea Market Finds: Oven Roaster

You know, sometimes you go out to the picking grounds and you just have a feeling that something will be there for you........then you find the extraordinary find! A Westinghouse Oven Roaster in pristine condition!

My second Oven!
I don't know who was more excited, Scot or me! For the low low price of $15 I now have a second oven.
Innards
The wire rack is removed, you heat up the oven, then put the food in the rack and lower the rack inside. We found this a few weeks before Thanksgiving and I cooked a whole chicken and then a roast in it to be sure it cooked at the right temperatures. Eureka! I was able to cook my turkey in this and make my bread in my regular oven at the same time, yay!

The lid lip
The lid hangs on to a special lip for it so I can baste things, it is so cool.

it was made in 1940!
Scot looked online and found the instruction manual. This model was made in 1940, so that makes it 72 years old. We figured someone bought it, used it twice and packed it away forever. Well, baby it is getting used, now, and my daughter Robby can't wait for me to pass it on.