Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chalkboard Door and Eraser

chalkboard door in stitch studio
My sister, Mary Ann gave me a can of Chalkboard Paint.....this is how things get started, ya know.......So, I have doors, windows and pass-throughs in my Stitch Studio, so I have to make every space count. I had a makeshift design area on the door, before, but it wasn't necessary. I painted it with the chalkboard paint and now, it is very useful. I write ideas and sometimes fast sketches on the board. Sometimes a two year old scribbles on the board....it's all good.
chalk eraser station
I had a little white plastic shelf (50 cents from Salvation Army Thrift Store) which I mounted on the wall in the little space between the door and my fabric shelves. The old cigar box (I rarely pay more than one American dollar for my boxes) was the perfect size to hold my chalk (dustless chalk is cool). I made the eraser by gluing wooden letter blocks together. Then I cut and hand stitched about 6 layers of wool felt together. I glued the wool to the blocks.

glue wool to bottom of blocks