Friday, January 13, 2012

Mixed Textiles


My mother in law gave us this rocking chair. Even though it had green velvet upholstery on it I liked the chair. It is a comfortable mom and baby chair. So, I had to make it my own by doing an upcycle.
Make a Comfy Spot with Mixed Textiles
I decided to wrap the cushion with an Indian batik.
Indian Batik from Thrift Store

Then I draped a utility quilt on the back.
The Sweet Potato Color is Warm and the rough grid gives this quilt great textural interest

It needed an outstanding pillow. I went into my treasure textile bin and found these South American cat molas. I made the pillow and..... Voila! You can see how I made this pillow on my design blog Taire Daire Designs
You will find out how I made this pillow on my other blog

My rocker is wrapped in a cozy mix of world textiles!

The Camel Saddle was $2 at a garage sale 30 years ago

The foot rest is a Camel Saddle that I found at a garage sale in Texas 30 years ago. Back then, I painted him dark green and put a flowery cushion on his back. My little ones played horsey with him for years. He has seen many changes (mostly the cushion and new glue and nails) over the years. This time I painted him purple and made a new cushion in golden yellow with buttons. Then, I adorned his neck with a bangle bracelet from India.
Upcycled Cozy Corner in Living Room

So, here is a cozy spot in the living room. I will tell you about the great end table in a future blog.....it's a pretty good story.